Sunday, November 10, 2013

Kansas State

Kansas State vs. #25 Texas Tech - 11/09/13


LUBBOCK, TEXAS-

Typical Tech? More like Typical fans

The overall feeling following the win against Texas Christian in early September was one of accomplishment and good juju. Texas Tech took care of an in-state rival at home in a game where they were favored to lose. For all of the excitement and expectations created by a perfect first half of the season we shouldn't forget where we stood perception wise. Tech wasn't supposed to go bowling this year, nor were they supposed to go 7-0 and develop Big XII title aspirations. Hell, there wasn't even an overriding consensus that they would take care of SMU on the road or Texas State at home. 



A byproduct of unexpected success is that it often times creates "front-runner" fans. I just don't understand it, but maybe its just that I'm loyal to a fault. Maybe I'm blinded by my love for everything scarlet and black, maybe I'm just partial to the school that, you know, I actually attend and grew up watching. Maybe it's the autographed Sheryl Swoopes and Zach Thomas cards I never lost. Maybe it's the fact that I've stuck with my team school even after the shitty December night in 2009 or maybe it's because I never went out and bought a Washington State hat. 



I'll never question the want or ability of any player or coach. I'm not a Division I athlete or head coach. Being good at Madden or NCAA 14 doesn't qualify me to run an offense. 



I'm pissed, I know a lot of other people are too and there isn't anything wrong with that. However, I think a dose of perspective is needed for those with one foot already off the ledge. 


My "10 takeaways" from last night:

  1. Depth- Lost in much of the tired excuses and crazy conspiracy theories for why Tech is on a three game losing streak is the issue of depth. Overall the talent is there, it exists. Tech has a number of talented players but what they don't have is the necessary depth to remain competitive in the meat of Big XII play. Factor in injuries to key players, particularly on defense, and you have a recipe for disaster. There is no quick fix or remedy, the only way to address quality depth is by recruiting and consistency. The latter of which Tech hasn't had since 2009. 
  2. Quarterbacks- Webb never looked 'settled' and his performance on the field reflected that. He looked rushed and not at all calm for most of his playing time on Saturday. I noticed him missing on several throws that he's made in the past. Similarly, Mayfield also had a horrible day. He may have come into the game to a chorus of cheers but any good will was quickly forgotten after Baker fumbled on a trademark scramble. Much later in the game he would rack up a few points in the INT department and also perform and non-attempt to stop the intercepter from running into the end zone. I'm not sure how I feel about that as it would be nice to see an effort being made there but I also realize it probably wouldn't have mattered much anyways.  
  3. Tech Defense-Same story as OSU. A lack of quality depth and having to play freshmen out of necessity is a horrible combination when going against a team that has an offensive scheme that's basically been your kryptonite for years now: a power run game.
  4. Brewer- I'm not sure what to think about Brewer being MIA in this game. If he's still not 100% I understand. However, Kingsbury has said repeatedly that he's healthy enough, just not 'game-ready'. Reading between the lines I'm really afraid he might be gone after this season either due to transfer or because he never fully healed. That being said I wouldn't mind being proved wrong.
  5. Not quite there- Is Tech good/talented enough to surprise and beat anyone in the Big XII? Yes. Do they have the tools and personnel needed to be competitive week in and week out with teams more talented? No. The perception that Tech has been surpassed by fellow former Big XII south programs like Baylor and Oklahoma State is true. The one common denominator for those programs? Consistency top to bottom.
  6. Overrated- Whoever orchestrated the game day festivities. I really hate saying this but  for all of the hype and hoopla the athletic department created for the Lone Survivor game I really feel like they missed the mark. The largest gathering of Purple Heart recipients ever? Should have focused on that more, that, and not interrupting the voice of the Red Raiders explaining what the day was about just so the ref could tell everyone who won the damn toss. 
  7. Underrated- Team leaders. Tech is really going to miss Ward, Bullitt, Porter and possibly Amaro. Those guys have really invested themselves into their school and playing careers. Thats hard to replicate.
  8. Bowl Game- I don't care if we lose our next two games, I'm going to the damn bowl game. Whether it be in Houston or Tempe, plans have been made. 
  9. Baylor/Texas- I wouldn't hold my breath on Tech surprising everyone and beating either Baylor or Texas. But would I be surprised? Not entirely. Neither team is invincible and both seem to have been bitten by the injury bug as of late. 
  10. Eric Ward- After the game Ward posted a picture of him and his son running down the field with the caption "This is my why". Also, did anyone notice the intensity the team came out with for the second half? Thank Eric Ward for asking them the exact question. 




No comments:

Post a Comment