Friday, October 11, 2013

KU/ISU



LUBBOCK, TEXAS-

Late Night


I have a suspicion that the area of 66th street between Slide and Frankford has become some kind of weird Twilight zone. 



I purchased a fixed-gear bicycle a few weeks back in my attempt to complete the hipster transformation. I already have the facial hair, ironic t-shirts, and comic book collection, now I just need to start listening to "cool bands you've never heard of" and wear really deep V-neck shirts, so on and so forth...



Sarcasm aside, the real reason I got the bike was to make sure I stay active doing something. During the summer going to the gym was a great option because apart from work and online classes I really just had a lot of free time. However, now that school is in full swing I don't have nearly as much time or energy to make it out there and pump iron with all the pretty people and their neon yellow matching workout outfits. Having the bike has given me something to tinker with late at night in both the riding sense and also the I-like-to-take-things-apart sense. Due to my nature as a night owl or maybe just because I'm weird the only times that I have ridden the bike thus far have been at night...which leads me to my "Twilight zone 66th street" experiences.



There are seriously some strange people that walk around in the middle of the night. In the few weeks I've been riding I have seen/met: drunkards speaking (to themselves? or someone else?), clandestine meetings outside really shady apartments (pretty sure drugs were involved), little kids walking around the park IN THE MIDDLE OF THE NIGHT, and people staring at me like they've never seen a fat dude riding a bike.



What I haven't seen?



People riding bicycles.




Texas Tech Football

I only watched the first half of the Kansas game this past Saturday and have yet to really see the game in its entirety since then. I'll keep this short, so... 

My "10 takeaways":

  1. Late to the party- I'm going to go ahead and attribute the slow start by Tech to the 11AM kickoff or some kind of weird hangover from the poor offensive performance versus Texas State. However, I wouldn't put too much thought into it as Tech and Kansas always seem to play really, really, really weird games. (Tech was down 21-0 at one point in 2011, and also went to double OT in 2012 after being up 21-7). When we play them weird shit usually happens.
  2. Who doesn't like?- To score? After going into a 10-0 hole early on Texas Tech came back and scored 54 unanswered points. As I said before, weird stuff happens when these teams meet.  
  3. Tech Defense- The defense took a quarter and a half to settle in but once it did the Jayhawks were never going to come back. Snuffing out a fake punt, INT to start the third quarter and TFL. The defensive front seven were always the known quantity, but now I believe the secondary is also coming into form. Kansas wasn't some kind of offensive juggernaut but they have the skill players to make you pay if you don't keep them honest. 
  4. Bad Raider- A month ago the idea of playing Iowa State didn't bother me much if at all. Now though? I'm fairly concerned. I was at the game in 2011 and I was questioning reality all four quarters. Tech has the talent edge and a better defense. Webb, Mayfield or Brewer need to help out by not throwing INTs. It's going to be a tough game. Ugh...
  5. Underrated- Kansas, they are probably the worst team in the Big XII but they will beat someone worth a damn this season.
  6. Overrated- Punters. What was the Jayhawk punter thinking when he tried to fake it on 4th and 13 from inside his own 30 yard line?? 
  7. Quarterbacking- I wouldn't be too surprised if Michael Brewer saw significant playing time on Saturday. I think Mayfield is Kingsburys guy and Webb has shown flashes of greatness but the end goal is to win the game at hand. Brewer will be rusty but he's a steady hand that has been in the system longer than his counterparts. 
  8. Red River- Bye Mack Brown!
  9. Not a morning person-11AM kickoff? Not as bad as it sounds, however I would assume Tech doesn't set another attendance record on a Saturday.
  10. Prediction- Tech wins a close game with the defense being the difference overall.  31-28 Texas Tech.

Random: The Cotton Bowl will be the site of an orange cow massacre, while Oregon will roll past Washington and the Baylor scary Bears will throttle the lavender Wildcats.


1 comment:

  1. You're not the only one who thinks ISU is a cause for concern. After last week's poor officiating in the Texas game and such great support from their coach Paul Rhoads, they have got to be pissed off, fired up and coming to Lubbock with a major chip on their shoulders. Once again, it's going to be up to our defense to keep us in the game while the offensive gets settled.

    Oh, and I bet the drug dealers see you and think "who's the crazy guy on the bike? doesn't he know he could get shot in this neighborhood this late at night?"

    ReplyDelete